Monday, January 2, 2012

What goal?

I have been saving up money for a new computer ever since spending everything I had on a very entertaining concert on October 25th. Rest assured, this was a very necessary upgrade, as my previous computer was over 8 years old. It has been quite the process with a lot of research. Initially, I had decided on a pre built till I saw how much money I would save by just getting the parts and building it with my brother. I was also influenced in part by some of my more tech savvy colleagues.

Getting all of the parts was a bit of a hassle but that's to be expected when dealing with multiple delivery companies. Thankfully, FedEx didn't hurl the box on my patio or in my face. Everything else went rather well. I got more and more excited when each package got here over the period of a few days.

When my brother and I actually got to building it, we ran into a few tricky problems. The CPU cooler and the RAM wouldn't fit together. I was just about to just install 1 fan instead of 2 when my brother made it work by moving the fan up the heatsink a few notches. Besides some annoying cable management and hard to get places for screwing in the motherboard, I learned a lot and enjoyed it. It was an amazing feeling when it booted up.

What I didn't enjoy however, was trying to install Windows 7. I tried using the free student version of Win 7 Pro that I got from CCSF but there was a very headache inducing device driver problem that almost made me tear my hair out. It didn't seem like the download from CCSF was complete, so I had to get another copy, burned it to a DVD and voila! Worked first time.

Gaming with max settings on a 1920x1200 resolution might very well convert me from consoles. Besides that, what's a new computer without a nifty new executive chair? Had to get that too.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on building your brand new computer. I'm jealous now lol I can't wait to build one myself

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fascinating read...your writing style is spot-on for this post. I'm glad you and your brother had some good bonding time!

    ReplyDelete