Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Hack! Choppety chop!

When to comes to a profession, I’ve never had employment per say but I have had my share of volunteer work and the occasional odd job. In terms of actually earning anything, the only work was during high school, where I was paid 10 dollars an hour to essentially hack a gargantuan amount of weeds. My boss was a former friend’s father, who needed able bodies to chop away the overgrown mass and set up something in the backyard that I can’t remember for the life of me. He hired me and a friend. My weapon…or tool of choice was a machete sorely in need of the grindstone. You wouldn’t think it at first, considering the dullness but it was pretty fun just hacking away at all that brush. It was frustrating though when the occasional weed just wouldn’t go down.

I was grateful for the work and the money to be sure. It was just something on the side to do, for about 3 hours every couple days. One of the perks was being able to take breaks a lot and use the refrigerator as a resource. Ultimately though, the weeds ran out and we switched gears to more detailed work. We started laying down some sort of piping that I’m not sure what was for. It was a very ephemeral  experience that seemed to end as soon as it began. Perhaps, he couldn’t pay us anymore because we certainly didn’t finish whatever do-it-yourself project he had in store. In terms of skills or lessons I learned, honestly there weren’t many. I suppose following instructions and some communication at times. For the most part, it was solitary labor. He told us to get rid of it. I would just put on some Maiden and go to town.

No comments:

Post a Comment