Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Makeup That Forms my Language

Why do we use language the way we do? I’m referring to specifically the use of language, not languages themselves. Personally, I see it as an amalgamation of many factors.

One such factor is our peers. I believe that our friends can leave a lasting impression on us, in more ways than one. Certain slang words or phrases can get incorporated into our own speech for various reasons and vice versa. Possibly it’s based on repetition? You hear a saying or maybe even a catchphrase that a friend says often enough to the point of where you’re saying it. Maybe it’s something that’s hilarious or simply something that just sticks with you.

Personally, the media around me has a big effect on the language I use. Movie quotes, TV shows, music, video games and references of everything in between pop up in my head often enough. If the situation presents itself, there will be a quote or reference coming out of me. For instance, if someone does me a big favor, I’ll say, “I’m gonna get you so many lizards!” So there’s that.

That was a quote too…I just can’t stop.

To cut this short, I think that ultimately our culture is the main factor because it encompasses all of what I mentioned. Our culture is created by us and we draw from it.

1 comment:

  1. Hey I enjoyed reading your post and I strongly agree that our culture is the main factor that influences the way we speak. I've noticed many words/sayings I hear from friends, family and even media tend to get stuck to me without me even noticeing it, I guess its from hearing it so often.

    ReplyDelete